International Moving Services Français
IMS MOVING NETWORK is an organization specialized in national and international transportation and logistics services serving many recognized transportation entities in the industry.

Customs procedures

To import into Canada

Please note that the presence of the customer is obligatory for custom clearance.

Landed immigrants :

Landed immigrants can import their household goods and personal effects duty-free provided that they were in their possession for at least 6 months prior to arriving in Canada.

Temporary workers :

The rules are the same as landed immigrants; however, Canada customs may request a deposit (refundable upon re-export or becoming a landed immigrant).

Returning Canadian citizens :

Canadian citizens may bring back all their possessions duty-free as long as they have been acquired, owned and used abroad at least 6 months prior to arrival and the shipper has been living at least 1 year abroad. Any single item of household goods or personal effects, including automobiles and are valued at more than $10,000 are subject to regular duty and taxes on the excess amount. All liquor is taxable. A detailed valued inventory list is required in English or French as well as proof of absence of any immigration papers.

Import of vehicles :

A vehicle can be imported into Canada if :

  • It conforms to North American standards
  • It is over 15 years old (some conditions may apply. For more information, visit Canada Border Services Agency)

Import of wine :

All wine importation is taxable. Both provincial tax (based on the number of liters) and federal tax (based on quantity and value) will apply. A detailed list is needed specifying quantity, name, year and value of bottles.

Documents required

  • Copy of passport (shipper needs to the original passport with them for customs clearance)
  • Movers inventory list
  • Valued and detailed inventory list
  • Copy of work permit, or landed immigrant card
  • For temporary workers, letter from employer
  • Proof of residence in Canada
  • For Canadian citizens, proof that they have stayed outside the country for more than 6 months

Important Note :

When the shipper arrives in Canada at the airport it is important that they advise Canada Customs that their household goods and personal effects are being shipped by sea. The document obtained at the airport is very important for customs clearance.

For more information, consult Settlers' Effects document from Canada Border Services Agency.

To export from Canada

Customs procedures for shipping outside Canada are relatively simple since all the customs formalities and requirements are handled at destination. However, there is a minimum requirement for shipping overseas to ensure that your goods conform to the rules and regulations of that country.

Here are the rules that must be met in order to facilitate shipments out of Canada :

  • Provide an inventory valued at the latest on the day of loading of your belongings
  • Provide a copy of your passport
  • Provide the address at destination and other relevant information as required

In the case of a motor vehicle, please provide a copy of the vehicle registration document. It should be noted that all vehicles must be fully paid for including all taxes and free of all debts before it can be exported overseas. No vehicles under lease, or lien will be accepted.

If you are returning to France or Belgium

You will need to contact the nearest consulate and obtain a certificate of change of residence in order to avoid paying customs duties on arrival.

In general, you must be staying at least one year, otherwise the French customs will require you to pay duties and taxes.

We always recommend that you contact the consulate of the country where you are moving to in order to obtain all the necessary information and required documentation beforehand.